I'm back...

 I'm logging back in, the cold glow of the LCD glazes my face in blue. It's dawn's waking light. It's waking life. I'm tired, my body aches. My mind is tired for a night I'm much too old for. The glow hurts my eyes, buring, seering into my retinas the black and white screen of a word processor. It was just two days. It was just two days.


Relatively, it difficult to cut off nowadays, doing so requires dedication. What I didn't expect? How involuntary my browsing has become. A moment of silence, my fingers fumble to open the phone. A random actress in some feature. Where do I know her from? This is going to drive me crazy. Is Cardamom toxic to dogs? I don't know. My hand blindly, effortlessly goes for my phone, goes to social media. What's going on at the Mcdonald's down the road? It's funny, but we have trained ourselves so well to run for the comfort of distraction. I don't want to deal with this now, so I come here, my little digital fortress of solitude and I bask in a never ceasing feed of information. It was just two days.


Was it really that long? I mean the world doesn't seem changed. I still don't know if cardamom is toxic to dogs, but the dog isn't dead, so maybe I do. I mowed a lot of grass, it probably needs mowing again, but I mowed it. You can't browse social media while pushing a mower. Good Morning, it's demo-day. Tear down the walls. Discover new walls. New opportunities. New questions. Why? Do you know a good contractor? Are we really going contemplating financing a kitchen remodel in this economy? The sunlight glistens, and bend beneath the water. There is a word for that. Refraction, I've always like that word. Sometimes you just want to stay down here forever, below it all, like some mythical beast in the mariana trench. It's just two days.


Am I already here? It's still dark. No, it was dark, the day is waking. It dawning. What? This is all too much, so much. Where do I start? Is that a Willie Nelson song? Yes. Yes, it is. It was just two days.

Comments

  1. Welcome back (or maybe not). It's subjective. It depends on how addicted and reliant of you to be online these days. Indeed. Cutting off from social media or even not using your phone for leisure use requires a tremendous effort and dedication. I think it's worthwhile to detox digitally once in a while. You'll see things differently after going offline for a while (I hope).

    For me, I am striving to cut down my online presence and focus my time more on improving my mental and physical well being. If you have tips and insights on staying away from the social media apps, please do share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can go a long way in helping with that. And I don't say that in vilifying being online, I just think it requires finesse, and moderation. It's not always good at doing that. I'm rooting for you! I know after this class I'm closing out my accounts. But on a plus, I reconnected with an old friend from way back who I lost touched with over times since not having social media.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts