Here's your one chance, Fancy, don't let me down.

 As a modern employee I feel we have one foot set in the real world, and another in the digital world. These two realms are very closely entwined now, and will probably only get closer and tighter as the world evolves. Reading an article by Lowenthal discusses the necessary demands  of an intentional digital presence places me back to my undergrad. I was taking a Marketing class with a zany sort of professor, that spoke bolster and confidently. He sold his trade. 

"If you don't have a LinkedIn profile, get one now." He spoke firmly.

I have a bad habit of going against the grain, it in my very nature. You tell me to do something, it takes all the fun out of it. I mean I was the kid working analog just for the hipster privilege's of going through more trouble for the fun of it. My grandfather didn't need LinkedIn, why the hell do I? 

Now, nine years later, as I'm seeking out this degree, I find myself polishing a dusty LinkedIn, by god, I even got a professional photo took of my no necked self all dolled up like a Catholic school boy. I'm building a portfolio, as required, but I'm cross linking all this with my Resume, with my LinkedIn. There may never have been a more polished redneck to this day, but I've been doing some polishing for sure.

This all very much goes against my reclusive nature. I'm the inspiring hermit on the wooded hill. The grumbling old-timer the kids all make up stories about, but I'm not there yet. I have to retire first, so in order to retire I need to make ALOT more money. Cause this hermit wants a boat, tractor, and all sort of fun toys to cause rampant fun in my sacred hollow. So, I'm selling my soul to the digital gods, wearing my finest lace for the finest suiters I can find. Hell, I even smiled for a photo that didn't involve me looking at a beer, river, or train. 

But what the article argues is very true, and I'm trying to achieve this intent web presence. I'm in no way going to master it, but I am caving in to it. My undergrad didn't work out how I fore-hoped it would. So, I'm tweaking my approach. Throwing myself out there more, and gonna give it a shot. Granted I still have to be myself, and I can only polish so much, but I'm putting forth some effort. Because unlike Fancy, I'm getting more than one chance, and I might have been born just plain white trash, but Fancy was my name.


Comments

  1. It's super fun to read your blog!!! And I hear you, yes, why should I have a LinkedIn if my parents don't have one... However, this complaint about social media kinda interests me because I feel there are some older generations who are tech-savvy, though not my parents. If so, will they influence the younger generation? Or is the younger generation just influenced by their peers?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts