Networked

 The beginning of Networked tells a heartwarming tale of people coming together, and how the noise of Social Media's destruction of society is just that, simply noise. I will have to read more before I am completely won over by that idea, but it does remind me of how I feel in love with social media.


(Opening Scene, rural community, lots of pine trees, kid on a four-wheeler)


I was like any other kid growing up in the least populated county in Florida, I appreciated the woods. But outside of that there wasn't much else. We had TV and the radio, but then we got internet. We could play games, explore facts. By the time I was in middle school Social media began to makes its presence in my life. It was Myspace at first, and i spent much of my time exploring music, discovering bands, talking with them, getting free samples, and stuff all the time. It was fun, these individuals valued my digital flattery, and I enjoyed sharing ideas and learning from them.

By high school, I was big into photography and art, posting on social media in order to receive feedback and criticism. I'd talk with people from Amsterdam to the Philippines, and that's a good amount of ground to cover for a boy from my little corner of the world. In my head I was some digital redneck Andy Warhol, discussion art, and cultivating a factory of open communication and creativity.


This was the dream that hooked me on social media, it was like the world was suddenly open to us, from anywhere. Just like books, films, or television, but with social media I was able to be Bourdain discussing with individuals, even if I was nowhere near as cool and virtuous about it. This dream that someone from some small whole in the wall could have active meaningful conversations with people from New York, or Paris. This was my poor country self's dream. And I was hooked on the wonder. But then I entered college.

Comments

  1. Great connection with rural communities connecting and growing a large voice through social media.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts