Adventures in Reddit

 I've always felt social media had great potential for learning. The beauty of it, one can develop a sense of community the world over, all centered around a given subject. This week I found an old cigar ashtray.


Items such of this always have the sense of a story to them. As I cleaned the piece I could collect more information. Making this item more intriguing to me.
I have a time: 1945, and place: Miami, I know it's made of an spent artillery casing. There are the names John and Sara, but are they 2 individuals, or is it John Sara. I have a branch of the military: U.S. Navy. So with this I hopped onto reddit, r/ww2

I will say with social media you can always get a few wise responses, such as google it, or what-not. But it is also useful in making quick connections over shared interests. It's amazing what some people know. If you click the above link it'll take you to the post, but to summarize. I learned there was a U.S. Navy Training Center in Miami during this time, but no more. This ashtray is considered Trench Art, pieces made by soldiers for folks back home, or just as keepsakes, often from items found in the field, spent cases are a popular medium. I will say exploring these was fun. The names I haven't found a match for yet, but I did learn Sara could refer to USS Saratoga, but I can't be certain.

Now, do you have any experiences referencing the hive mind of social media to learn something new? How was your experience? I've had both good and bad, so please comment below and garner those wonderful participation points! =-)



Comments

  1. First of all, this was a pretty fun read. Secondly, I have a Reddit account, probably accessed it 2-3 times or more based on things my brother sends me to read. I have no idea how to navigate and the last time I got so lost in a rabbit hole I wasn't sure how to get out.. lol..

    Now back to the question you asked, yes I have definitely referenced the hive mind. On twitter, I often am seeking recommendations for podcasts or restaurants. So I may do a simple search and see what the reviews are for either or I may pose a question and see where the twitter sphere takes it! I prefer this method of non-academic research because you are getting input from people all over the world (as far as the podcast recs go). They all have different reactions and feelings to it and it either steers me away or makes me oh so much more intrigued :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious of your experience with Twitter. I've never gotten much feedback there, it's like I'm shouting into a vaste void, "Here me! Here me!", to no avail. But that in and of itself has some perks.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is fascinating! I think you shared a perfect example of hive mind! :) By the way, where did you find it? So curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grand-parent owned a military surplus business when I was younger, I worked there growing up, collected all sorts of knick-knacks. I place them on a shelf, and they serve as inspiration, maybe bits of curiosity, titillating intrigues for writing, or whatever endeavor i find myself in. Have you ever just watched people, and they do something quirky, and think, that'd be fun to place in a character?

      Delete
    2. If I find something quirky I would be really fascinated by it, but it would not really awake my artistic sense. That's very creative of you, and that's why you're a good writer!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts